Faro's defensive walls were built by the Moors in the 9th century, likely over previous Roman defensive constructions.
Nowadays what remains of the Castle is only part of the Faro defensive structure at the time.
In 1596 Faro suffers an attack from the English forces, when Portugal was under Spanish domination, and is looted and set on fire. The reconstruction works carried for several years, and already on the 17th century, other reconstruction and conservation works took place for the adaptation of the Castle and city Walls to the use of artillery.
On the 19th century the Castle was leased to a company that converted it in a alcohol factory.
The alterations for the construction of the factory, and also the opening of a street through the Castle adulterated quite a lot the overall aspect of the Monument.